- What gets you out of bed in the morning?
Aside from my alarm clock, is that with each day comes the chance to fly which is what I love doing!
- How would you describe your day job to a child?
I help people who want to learn to fly an aircraft achieve that goal.
- What is your biggest achievement to date – personal or professional?
My biggest achievement to date was getting my first job as a Flight Instructor at the Royal Aero Club of WA.
- What does a typical day look like for you and what are you currently working on?
I currently work Thursdays to Sundays, so on those days I spend my time at the club. Sometimes I fly, however, during the times at which I am not flying I am usually studying. On my days off I catch up with mates and try and do some study for my ATPL’s.
- What three words would you use to describe your role?
Teacher, mentor and motivator.
- If you could switch jobs with someone, who would it be?
Gary Ablett JR.
- What is on your wish list for your next five years here?
I hope to work through the ranks and become the best instructor that I can be.
- What are your biggest professional challenges?
Keeping my uniforms clean, I’m not a big fan of ironing. Managing time is a crucial part of being a Flight Instructor and so staying on top of that can also be a challenge on a busy day.
- If you could choose anyone, who would you pick as your mentor?
It would be hard to go past Glenda Dyke or John Douglas as these two have been in the industry as Flight Instructors for a very long time and hence are very experienced.
- If you could change one thing about working here, what would it be?
If there is one thing I would change it would be to put in more working lockers for instructors.
- What do you like most about your job?
The fact that every day is different, it is a very unique job.
- What advice would you give to recent new entrants?
Work hard and have faith that the instructor will get you to where you want to be.
- What’s your most memorable embarrassing moment?
The time I locked myself out of Port Augusta airport during my CPL training as I attempted to go find something to eat.
- When was the last time you laughed so hard you cried?
Two Saturdays ago with some mates.
- What is your motto or personal mantra?
Never give up!
- What’s your favourite blog?
Can’t say I’m really a big reader of blogs 🙁
- What’s the most recent app you’ve downloaded but are yet to use?
- Given a chance, who would you like to be for a day?
I would like to be Wayne “The King” Carey for a day.
- What’s your favourite line from a film?
“Tell him he’s dreamin”” – The castle
- What is your guilty pleasure?
A 3-piece box original recipe from KFC.